Safe Handling of Medicines
This course is intended for those involved in handling medication. Participants will be introduced to safe handling of medication, the cycle of medication and safe administration of medication. They will develop a deeper understanding of the requirements, their duties and responsibilities and record keeping.
- Understand the legislation relating to handling medicines
- Understand the different levels of support
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of those involved in the medication cycle
- Understand the 7 rights of medication administration
- Understand the importance of good record keeping and documentation in relation to medicines
- know the classification of medicines
- Identify different groups of medicines
- understand the difference between brand and generic names of medicines
- Know the routes of medication administration
- Identify side effects, adverse reactions, contra-indications and understand the need for monitoring
- Know how to deal with medication errors, refusal and emergencies
- Know the process for safe disposal of medication
6 hours/ 1 day
The trainer will carry out ongoing assessment. Learners will be expected to participate in class activities, group discussions and question and answers session.
All delegates will receive a certificate of attendance.
Training can be delivered at locations to suit customers or at one of our training venues.